Thursday, March 28, 2013

Sweet Potato Hash

If you know anything about me, it's that I love, love, LOVE potatoes. I love them boiled, roasted, mashed, fried, hashed, if it's potato I'll eat it!

That was one of the harder foods to give up for paleo. But in it's place, I started using more sweet potato, something I wasn't too fond of before. I've developed a great, fast breakfast from sweet potatoes, eggs and spicy prosciutto. 


Sweet Potato Hash

1-2 sweet potatoes, depends how many people you're making this for or for how long you want to keep the mixture in the fridge
Salt and pepper
Garlic powder
Paprika
1-2 eggs

1. After peeling the sweet potato, grate it with a cheese grater.
2. Mix it in a bowl with salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika. Here is where you can get creative if you want. Sometimes I add curry powder or cumin or cayenne if I want a little spice in my sweet. 
3. Add 1-2 eggs, depending on how many sweet potatoes you used. I usually to 1 egg for ever sweet potato, unless it's a big one then I use 2 eggs. The egg is basically what keeps it together.
4. Heat a pan at med-high with some coconut oil. Add the shredded, spiced and egged sweet potato to the pan and spread it out thin, like a hash brown! I've noticed the thinner you spread it, the better it holds together like a patty. If you just want a mound of sweet potato hash then you can mix it up in the pan.
5. While the potato is cooking, cut up some spicy prosciutto.
6. Once the potato hash has cook till crispy on both sides, fry an egg in the same pan. While the egg is cooking, sprinkle the prosciutto onto the hot sweet potato. Plop the egg on top and enjoy! The spicy prosciutto goes so well with the sweet potato, it's fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment