Blue Ribbon Country Captain Chicken:
3 strips of sugar-free, nitrate-free bacon (optional)
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
salt and black pepper, to taste
1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
4 medium onions, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
3 large bell peppers (red and/or green), thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
3 tablespoons raisins
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons curry powder
3 scallions, green tops only, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Cook the bacon (it says optional but you know you wanna do it) and cut up into chunks.
3. In the same pan, add the coconut oil and bring to heat on med-high. Place the chicken thighs in a single layer in the pan. The goal is to brown the skin, crispy, delicious. Let it be in the pan until it's ready to flip. Then place the chicken in a 13x9 pan.
4. Without draining any of the oil/fat, saute the peppers, onions and raisins until they are soft but not fully cooked. Place in the pan with the chicken, I smothered the chicken with the peppers and onions.
5. Pour the broth into the pan and scrape up the brown bits from the pan, you'll be making a sauce. Add the curry powder and cook until it starts to thicken. (Note: I would double the about of broth and curry powder. It has great flavor and I wanted more of the sauce.)
6. Pour the sauce over the chicken, over the pan with foil and place in the over. Bake for 35 minutes then take the foil off and raise the temperature to 400 and finish cooking for 5-10 minutes.