Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Rogan Josh.

One of the first things I had to get used to when I moved in with Jake: our difference in cuisine. 

I grew up with a lot of British foods, French, Italian. And I love those kinds of food (the mote butter then better). I found that Jake preferred more ethnic flavors, Indian, Thai, Mexican. It took me a while to adjust to the spices, learn what they taste like and how to use them.

Over a year later, I love Indian food, Thai and Mexican. My hot (as in spicy) threshold is a lot stronger as well. So this next dish was welcomed and thoroughly enjoyed.

Yum.
Rogan Josh: 

Spice blend:

1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom 
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves  
3/4 teaspoon powdered ginger 
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 teaspoons chili powder 
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 
4 teaspoons ground cumin 
4 teaspoons ground coriander 
2 teaspoons salt 
1/2 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper





Curry:
2 pounds lamb (stew meat, shoulder, or leg), cut into 1-inch cubes 
salt and black pepper, to taste 
1 tablespoon coconut oil 
2 medium onions, diced 
1 cup coconut milk 
1 1/4 cups water

1. Mix all the spices together and set aside.
2. In a dutch oven or large pot, heat the coconut oil on med-high.
3. Once the pan is hot, add the lamb. The goal is to brown the lamb, like crust brown not cook. Once the lamb is in the pan, just let it sit, don't stir for a minimum of 5 minutes. I did this for each side of the lamb. 
4. Once the meat is browned, add the onions and cook until the onions are become see through.
5. Add the spice mix and cook until fragrant. Then add the coconut milk and water. 
6. Bring the pot to a boil then cover and turn to low. Let the Rogan Josh simmer for 1-2 hours (I did for one and it was perfect).

It's going to look like a gross brown mess but the flavor is incredible. The texture of lamb is so vastly different then that of beef, it's much softer. This dish originates from Kashmir and in the book where I got the recipe, they describe it as having the texture of cashmere. And it does! 

Serve over rice or, in true paleo fashion, over cauliflower rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment